Have you ever wanted to give up? To throw in the towel?
Hold your arms up to the sky and say “I can’t do this any more”?
Have you ever started something with enthusiasm yet a few weeks later fallen back into your old comfy habits?
How about the new diet? “this time it’ll work” you shout with glee, only to have your head in the biscuit tin by 4pm!
No wine in the week? By Tuesday a small glass won’t hurt?
Of course you have, so have I, we’re human beings. I bet you beat yourself up about it to? Yup I thought so!
What if you could keep going? Imagine how different you life could be if you pushed through a little more.
Built up power in those new habits, and developed some discipline, developed a new attitude?
I bet things would be a lot different right? So how can you do it differently?
You gotta flex your mind muscle. Your brain is like any other muscle in your amazing body.
The more you use it the stronger it will become. The more you repeat a habit (good or bad) the quicker it will become ‘who you are’
Try some of these tips to help you build your ‘staying power’
- Don’t bite of more than you can chew. I use MUCH smaller more do-able habits with clients. It’s less threatening and you are much more likely to persevere. baby steps!
- Mentally rehearse the outcome of the new goal or action. use your imagination, your sub concious thinks your doing it for real
- Celebrate every small win. Give yourself a mental pat on the back and high five yourself!!
- Think about what will happen if you DON’T go to the gym/do some exercise/eat healthy/whatever
- Imagine how you will feel if you DO go to the gym/do some exercise/eat healthy/whatever
- Know why you are doing it. What does it really mean to you?
- Check out your body language. Slouched and looking down will not make you feel motivated. Try reaching your arms open to the sky, looking up and smiling.
- Practice (and it does take practice) consistency, again small baby steps.
- Write down a list of excuses that you will use to stop doing it. We are very good at self justification. Then list the solution to those excuses
- Don’t over analyse and get into a conversation with yourself about it. As nike say “Just do it”
- Don’t give up!! Just do one tiny thing in the right direction
- Life is full of set backs, and you will make mistakes – FACT. Pick yourself up and take another step forward.
- Find more grey in your life. Black and white thinking is too rigid, try and be more flexible.
- Just because you ate a biscuit doesn’t mean you have failed and might as well give up!
- You can start your day again at any time 🙂
Check out this great video about how to keep going